The Palm House in Gliwice is a historic building located in the Chopin Park. The first parts were created in the late nineteenth century, a substantial portion was built in the twenties of the twentieth century as part of the former Stadtpark. Initially also some exotic animals were kept here (like apes and alligators).
Today's Palm House after renovation and expansion is mainly a place where we can admire plants from other climates. It is divided into four pavilions :
- Crops - here we can see, among others grapefruit, calamondin, avocado, coffee, banana
- Tropical Plants - reconstruction of rainforest, where there are no changes in vegetation throughout the year. It is humid and warm all the time (over 18 degrees). The pond located here hosts i.e. piranhas
- Historical pavillion - most impressive, as the palm specimens gathered here are well over one hundred years old (they were brought in 1924 for an exhibition ). Papyri grow here as well
- Succulents - here we can admire more than two thousand specimens of cacti and their cousins. The pavilion is warm and dry.
At the Palm House you will also find animals - parrots, reptiles and amphibians.
What is new is the recently built aquarium pavilion which is really impressive. There are different kinds of aquariums, not only with exotic specimens - there is an aquarium here with fish of Polish rivers as well. The largest reservoir is the artificially reconstructed aquatic environment of the Amazon with a capacity of sixty thousand liters. The number of fish and other creatures in the aquarium is really impressive. Other tanks are devoted to themes: Lake Tanganyika and rivers of Southeast Asia.
CC licence: some rights reserved by SunnyCompanyAdress:
Aleksandra Fredry 6, 44-100 GliwiceGallery:
open from Tuesday to Friday, 9:00-18:00, weekends from 10:00 to 18:00, closed on MondaysTickets adults:
Family ticket available, annual ticket normal 50 PLN, annual ticket reduced 30 PLN
- Near the park there are places where you can park your car
- There is an additional charge for taking photos (5 PLN) and for filming (5 PLN)
- Family ticket 10 PLN
- Children under 4 years free admission
- People over 75 years of age are free
- Group ticket (over 10 people) 3,5 PLN/pers.