Wolf's Lair (Wolfsschanze, Wilczy Szaniec) is the most famous headquarters of Adolf Hitler during the Second World War, set up on current Polish territory. It is situated on the outskirts of Gierłoż, near Kętrzyn.
Wolf's Lair is a fortified town, masked in the Mazurian forest, where once some 200 buildings for various purposes were located: shelters, barracks, power plant, railway, air conditioning, water supply, heating plants, teletypewriter control and two airports. To the Hitler's HQ led three guarded entrances. None of them survive till present day. From here, during World War II, Adolf Hitler gave the orders, and here important strategic decisions have been made.
The crew amounted to more than 2,000 people - including: officers, liaison officers, doctors, cooks, hairdressers and secretaries. At the Wolf's Lair, Hitler spent a total of about 800 days. The buildings were demolished in 1945, after taking by the Red Army.
Today in the Wolf's Lair area there is a hotel, a restaurant, a Campground, a number of events is being organized here as well.
CC licence: some rights reserved by AlbertyanksAdress:
Gierłoż, 11-400 KętrzynGallery:
from 8:00 till dusk
Possibility to use the services of a guide. Available in Polish, English, German, Russian and French.